|Surma Carver (née Stibnite)|
|House:||Queslett (Formerly Chester)|
|Status:||Deceased (Former Court Medium)|
|Special Ability:||Communicating with the Supernatural|
Surma Carver (née Stibnite; deceased) is the mother of Antimony Carver, and the wife of Anthony Carver. After spending an indeterminate amount of time suffering from an unknown disease, she passed away at Good Hope Hospital two weeks prior to the start of the story. In accordance with her wishes, her daughter was sent to Gunnerkrigg Court after her death.
At Gunnerkrigg CourtEdit
When Surma left the court to live somewhere else with Anthony. For reasons unknown, she chose not to keep in contact with her old friends
She was around her mid-thirties when she died.
Cause of DeathEdit
|MAJOR SPOILERS following this line.|
As of Antimony. Surma has, in some sense, passed her 'internal fire' onto Antimony and this led to her gradual weakening and death as Annie has grown older and stronger. It is apparent that it was inevitable that this should happen should Surma have a child and that this was a condition which Surma and her friends had known about long before the conception and birth of Antimony. Whether or not this condition is hereditary has not yet been confirmed. It was confirmed by Coyote that this condition was passed on to Antimony in, it has been established that Surma's death is in some way linked with the birth of her daughter
It has also been confirmed that this passing of Surma's 'fire' to Antimony is linked to why the psychopomps did not come to collect her spirit on her death, although exactly why the loss of this 'fire' meant that they would not guide her spirit has yet to be elaborated on.
As a young child, Surma was hot-headed and passionate, but as she got older, her personality subdued somewhat She's also been described as someone who was able to break rules without getting caught.
Not much else is known about her personality, but she did have an interest in mythology and alchemy. She specifically chose to make Annie a white wolf plush, because that was the animal the element of antimony was sometimes represented by in alchemy. She also told Antimony stories about seemingly mythical figures such as Coyote.
- Surma's maiden name was Stibnite - the main ore from which Antimony is extracted. In addition, the Russian word for Antimony is сурьма́ (surʹmá).
- In Finnish, Surma means "unnatural death"
- In Punjabi, Surma is another name for kohl, an eye-shadow containing antimony.
- We see her silhouette on .
- We see her in a photo on .
- We see her hair, arm, and hands on a hospital bed on .
- Her actual first appearance is on .
- She is one of the main characters of Chapter 22: Ties
- She appears in a flashback for 2 pages in Chapter 31: Fire Spike
- She makes a very minor appearance in a flashback starting on